San Remo, on the tip of Anderson Peninsula was originally known as Griffiths Point. The name was changed to San Remo in 1888, due to its similar climatic conditions to San Remo in Italy; mild winters and pleasant summer days, due to the light breeze off the water. The Western end of the San Remo town is the Pier and the Jetties. Pelicans are fed near the Pier at 12noon every day, which is marketed as a tourist attraction by the shire.
San Remo is the Gateway to Phillip Island with a bridge connecting the Island to the mainland. This is a fishing port but for the visitors, the Café’s, restaurants and the fish and chip shop near the Jetty remains a popular hangout before entering the island. San Remo is home to Australia’s largest shark fishing fleet. Whatever may be the blabbering sales pitch in tourism brochures, this is just another Victorian country town near the sea. San Remo also offers a range of accommodation for the visitors to Phillip Island.
San Remo and Phillip Island were home to Bunurong (Boon wurrung), Indigenous Australians of the Kulin nation, before the European arrival. The first time, the Bunurongs had contact with the Europeans were in 1801, when Lieutenant Murray and his crew from Lady Nelson landed at Sorrento. The encounter turned violent which resulted in gunfire, wounding many aborigines.
The 1797, whaleboat voyage of George Bass to explore the Coastline of Western Port resulted in the discovery of Bass River and the availability of fresh water in the area. George Bass also noted the vast seal colonies of the region which encouraged the sealers into the area.
From 1834 to the middle of 1840’s, Wattle bark was harvested from the local trees. After the collapse of Wattle bark industry in the 1840’s local timber and farming industries became prominent.
In 1838, Samuel Anderson and his business partner Robert Massie held a pastoral licence for the land between Griffith’s Point (San Remo) and Old Settlement Point (Corinella). In 1867, San Remo (Then known as Griffiths Point) was separated into 28 lots by Callanan and in 1888 the township was renamed San Remo.
From 1875 to 1893, coal mined from Kilcunda was brought to San Remo to be loaded on ships.
The Wonthaggi to Melbourne Railway was completed in 1910. In the early 20th century the area became known for Commercial fishing of King George Whiting, which was sent to Melbourne from here via train.
Attractions at San Remo
George Bass Coastal Walk
George Bass Coastal Walk is a cliff top walk that stretches from the outskirts of San Remo at Punchbowl Road, to the Bass Highway in Kilcunda. This follows the route of George Bass’s voyage and is nearly 7km long, which takes at least two hours to complete one way.
For Cycling enthusiasts there is a cycling track from San Remo to Cowes Jetty, nearly 17km in length. This track is generally flat and suitable for families with children.
Pelicans are fed at San Remo foreshore, near the jetty, every day at 12 noon.
San Remo Fisherman’s Co -Op
Established in 1948, San Remo Fisherman’s Co -op sources fresh fish and Cray fish from the local fleet. It is located next to the San Remo Jetty and is open 7 days.
Fishing and Diving Charters
Fishing charter services are available at San Remo. A google search will avail the list of providers.