Located 63km south of Melbourne CBD, on the Mornington Peninsula, the seaside town of Mt Eliza, used to be a holiday destination for Melbourne’s wealthy residents. Mount Eliza was named in 1836 by Captain William Hobson after Elizabeth Callaghan, the wife of John Batman.
Government of the Port Phillip District commissioned a survey of the area in 1854 and land sales followed, which were mostly bought by wealthy Melbourne residents.
Today, Mt Eliza is well known for its beaches and mansions. There are several beaches and bays located in Mount Eliza including Canadian Bay, Daveys Bay, Half Moon Bay, Moondah Beach, Ranelagh Beach, Pelican Point, and Sunnyside North Beach. Due to improved transportation and connectivity to Melbourne CBD, Mt Eliza is fast becoming like any other Melbourne suburb, with supermarkets, shops and other suburban facilities.
Daveys Bay is named after James Davey who took up pastoral lease of 260 hectares in 1846 and built a jetty at the western end of the bay to ship his produce to Melbourne. Davey’s Bay Yacht Club, founded in 1909, is located at the jetty.
Canadian Bay was named after 3 Canadian wood cutters, Mr’s Hodgins, McCurley and Jones, who used to ship logs in schooner “Liverpool” from Canadian Bay to Port Melbourne. There is a reserve at the Canadian Bay Road with picnic facilities and a car park. A walking track runs along the bluffs above Canadian Bay.
Sunnyside North Beach is a is a sheltered, secluded, clothes-optional – nudist beach. The beach is near the end of Sunnyside Road, off Nepean Highway about 2.5 km south of Mount Eliza. The Sunnyside beach is not a nudity beach which is located near the car park. North Sunnyside beach is in the next cove which is a 10-minute bush walk from the carpark.
Moondah beach has brightly coloured bathing boxes.
Mt Eliza is also home to several creeks, including Ballar Creek, Earimil Creek, Gunyong Creek, Kackeraboite Creek, Manmangur Creek and Manyung Creek.
Mt Eliza Regional Park
Mt Eliza Regional Park was established around former Moorooduc Quarry. The Quarry was established in 1887 by David Munro and a railway line was constructed from the quarry to the Moorooduc station. The quarry was closed in 1961 due to flooding. The park has a lake, bushland, walking tracks, BBQ Facility and children’s playground. Dogs are permitted on leash, and there is a leash free area within the park.
Address: 106 Two Bays Rd, Mount Eliza 3930
Mornington Railway operate between Mornington and Moorooduc. Moorooduc station is walkable distance from the Mt Eliza Regional Park. The tickets for the journey are available only at Moorooduc station. The railway is managed and operated by volunteers.
Mornington Railway line was a rural railway branching off from the Stony Point railway line at Baxter. The line opened on 10th September 1889 and operated for 92 years before closing in 1981. In 1984, a group of Railway enthusiasts got together to form Railway preservation society with the vision to re- open it as heritage railway. In 1991, the line reopened running diesel and steam heritage rail services between newly constructed stations at Mornington and Moorooduc.
Detailed information about Mornington railway can be found here. www,morningtonrailway.org.au
Address: 460 Moorooduc Highway, Moorooduc, VIC 3933