Melton Reservoir aka Exford Weir is located on the Werribee River approximately 6kms south of Melton between Bacchus Marsh and Melton. A naturally formed deep volcanic gorge exist in the area. The reservoir was completed in 1916 to supply water for irrigation around Werribee. Vertical spillway gates were installed, and embankment was raised in 1937 to increase the water storing capacity to 23500ML. Major upgrade work was undertaken from 1988 to 1994.
The area near the Dam’s southern wall has a picnic area with BBQ facilities.
The heritage listed Melton Viaduct, which was opened in 1886, passes over the Melton Reservoir. The viaduct comprises 18.4 and 9.2m spans with a length of 375 metres.
Non powered crafts are permitted to use the area north of the bridge but powered boating is permitted only to the members of Melton Runabout And Speedboat Club. The area is also popular with anglers.
LOCATION: Exford Road, Exford
Managed by Southern Rural Water