Adjacent to the Royal Exhibition Building in Carlton Gardens, Melbourne Museum, contemporary in architecture is a place for education, history and culture. The building was designed by Denton Corker Marshall Architects and finished construction in 2000.It is the largest Museum in Southern Hemisphere and also operates as Immigration Museum and Science Works Museum. As the state museum for Victoria, it has a collection of nearly 17 million objects, documents, photographs and specimens.
The museum has seven main Galleries. The touring hall is where temporary exhibits from around the world are displayed .The colourful children’s gallery housed in the Rubik’s cube style box has interactive exhibits. There is also a ‘bug’s alive’ exhibit with thousands of species of insects and spiders.
Banjilaka, the Aboriginal Centre, combines exhibition galleries with a performance space and meeting rooms. Wurreka, the 50m long zinc wall etching at the entrance is by Aboriginal artist Judy Watson. The Two Laws gallery deals with the indigenous Australian’s system of knowledge, law and property. The forest gallery features, 8000 plants from 120 different species.
The Australia Gallery celebrates the life of Australia’s most famous race horse, Phar Lap. The exhibits include race Memorabilia and Phar Lap.
The other facilities include Sydney Myer Amphitheatre, The Age Theatre, The discovery Centre and a free public research Centre. The IMAX theatre is situated in the lower complex. It has the world’s third largest screen and spans a massive 32metres wide x 23metres high. With its revolutionary projection system and 15000 watts digital surround sound- it definitely gives the ultimate movie going experience.
The History of Museum Victoria
The museum had a very humble beginning in the 1800’s. A few enthusiasts collected a few available specimens and in 1953 asked the Parliament to establish a National Museum. The National Museum was opened on 1st March 1853 in two small rooms in the Old assay building in Latrobe Street. The then Chair of National Science, Professor Frederick Mc Coy removed the collections of the Museum to the Melbourne University. But the collections for the Museum were continually been collected from all around the world and the museum was gaining world-wide reputation. In 1869, the museum came under the control of the Board of Trustees responsible for the State Library. After the death of McCoy, Baldwin Spencer has taken charge of the Museum.
In 1906 the Museum was moved to a building in Russel Street. In 1983 by the proclamation of Museum act, The Industrial and Technological Museum of Victoria which was established in 1870, later known as Science Museum of Victoria and The National Museum of Victoria amalgamated to form what is today known as Museum Victoria. Museum Victoria is governed by Museum Board of Victoria. . In 1996, Museum Victoria took over custodianship of the World Heritage listed Royal Exhibition Building. The new Melbourne Museum next to the Exhibition Building in Carlton was constructed during the period of the Kennett government (1992-1999) was opened on 21 October 2000.
Address: 11 Nicholson St, Carlton VIC 3053
Phone: (03) 8341 7777
How to reach Melbourne Museum
Take City Loop train to Parliament Station and from there Tram 86 or 96 to corner of Nicholson and Gertrude Streets
Bus routes 250, 251 and 402 to Rathdowne Street
Stop #5 of the Melbourne Visitor Shuttle
The Melbourne Museum undercover car park is open from 6.00am to midnight daily. Enter via Rathdowne Street or Nicholson Street
Click the link below for discussion forum on Melbourne Museum. Please share your experiences