Home City of Frankston Frankston McClelland Sculpture Park and Gallery

McClelland Sculpture Park and Gallery

McClelland Sculpture Park and Gallery is located 55km southeast of Melbourne CBD at the suburb of Langwarrin in Melbourne, Victoria. Set in eight hectares of landscaped bushland, McClelland Sculpture Park and Gallery is one of the most prominent galleries in Victoria.

In the 1930’s Harry McClelland purchased 8 hectares of bushland in Langwarrin and built a studio for himself to paint and enjoy nature and it came to be known as Studio Park.  Harry, an artist and his sister Annie May McClelland, a poet and entrepreneur had remained in the thick of artistic domain of the region. The siblings also established, Peninsular Arts Society, which held its initial meetings at their house. Harry died in 1954 and Ann May (Nan) McClelland in 1961. Nan bequeathed the property to the people of Victoria, expressing a desire, it be turned into a gallery. With assistance from Philanthropists like Dame Elisabeth, McClelland Gallery was established and opened to the public on 3rd May 1971 by the Premier of Victoria, Henry Bolte. Today McClelland Sculpture Park and Gallery is home to 100 outdoor sculptures by various artists and around 2600 artworks.

Initially designed by architects Munro and Sargeant in 1971, with significant extensions by architects William Boag in 1997. McClelland comprises two main gallery spaces.

Spread across 8 hectares of bushland, the sculpture park is an evolving landscape where art meets nature. The park is home to over 100 sculptures from Australian and international artists, including Lenton Parr, Inge King and Norma Redpath. New public sculptures are also displayed along McClelland’s exits from the Peninsula Link every four years through the Southern Way McClelland Commission. The Southern Way McClelland is a public-private partnership between the gallery and Peninsula Link owners Southern Way.

The Studio Harry built, where the siblings spent much of their time painting and writing poetry is preserved in the sculpture park. It was restored by Cranbourne Shire Council in 1988 with financial assistance from Australian Bicentennial Authority.

The Sarah & Baillieu Myer Education Pavilion designed by Kerstin Thompson Architects was opened in 2019. The venue hosts McClelland’s education programs, events and can be booked for private functions.

Details

Address: 390 McClelland Drive Langwarrin, VIC, Australia

Web: https://www.mcclellandgallery.com/

Gallery Opening Hours

Wednesday to Sunday: 10am – 5pm

Closed on Mondays, Tuesdays and the 25th and 26th of December.

McClelland Cafe

Wednesday to Sunday: 10am – 4:00pm

McClelland Café can be accessed during opening hours and serves a variety of snacks and beverages perfect for picnicking in the sculpture park.

Wheelchair is available for use upton request, and all galleries are wheelchair accessible.

There is a small fee for entry.

Home Forums McClelland Sculpture Park and Gallery – Discussion Forum

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts
    • #9348
      keykey
      Moderator

      McClelland Sculpture Park and Gallery is located 55km southeast of Melbourne CBD at the suburb of Langwarrin in Melbourne, Victoria. Set in eight hect
      [See the full post at: McClelland Sculpture Park and Gallery]

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.