Macedon House located at No 2 Kilmore Road in Gisborne is a heritage treasure of Victoria dating from 1847 with a rich history behind it and it’s been a silent witness to the growth of Gisborne for the past 175 years.
Macedon Hose is assumed to have built for Elizabeth and Thomas Gordon in 1847. In September that year, a publican’s license was issued to William Macaulay, nominee of Thomas Gordon. In 1854, The Gordon’s transferred their licence from Mount Macedon Hotel to the Bridge Inn in Gisborne.
Since then it has changed many hands. From 1856 to 1860, the hotel was licensed to J.V.A Bruce of Cornish & Bruce; from 1860 to 1863, Luke Chambers and from 1863 to 1867 Alexander Gardiner who was also a blacksmith. The hotel lost its lucrative trade when in 1961, the newly built railway line to Castlemaine passed 2.5km east of the Gisborne town and a new township named New Gisborne came into existence around it.
The hotel was delicensed in 1867. In 1878, Elizabeth Gordon who remarried after the death of her husband in 1855 returned to live at Macedon House which was by then a residence, with her six children, and orphaned niece and nephew. From 1887 many business establishments were run from Macedon House, like boarding and guest house, reception centre and school.
Over the years many changes have been made to the house and today, the iron roof, verandah, the floor, chimneys etc are from various periods.
In 1995, it was bought by Gisborne Bowling Club. Macedon house has been vacant since 2004 and it became dilapidated due to neglect. Then speculative real estate buyers stepped in with the intention of holding the property which is located at the town centre until it appreciated in value. Gisborne Bowling Club sold the property in 1998 for $250,000 to Mainpoint, a family owned company. In 2009, it was sold for $346,000. In 2014, it was sold again to Melbourne developer Brian Forshaw for a sum of $770,000. Plans were drawn up the next year to turn the land into Macedon House Retirement Village with around 40 homes. In 2018, the property was sold for $1.36 Million at a mortgagee auction. Heritage Victoria has issued guidelines to the new owners to restore the building to prevent deterioration of the structure.