Split point Light House
Location: Aireys Inlet, VIC
Phone: 1800 174 045
Originally Called Eagles Nest Point, the construction of the light house begun in 1890 and was first illuminated in September 1891. it was renamed Split Point in 1913. The Light house was originally intended to be constructed of stone, but a change of plan resulted in constructing the structure with cement-rendered concrete and crushed rock.
Split Point Lighthouse offers 45 minutes guided tours, during which visitors have the chance to climb the original staircase and experience the view from the balcony just below the lantern room.
Book tour online or phone 1800 174 045 The 45 minute tour includes lighthouse stories, local history and amazing 360-degree coastal views.
Cape Otway Light Station
Location: Otway Lighthouse Rd, Cape Otway VIC 3233
Phone: 03 5237 9240 (intl: +61 3 5237 9240)
This is the oldest surviving light house in Australia. The light station was decommissioned in January 1994 after being the longest continuous operating light on the Australian mainland.
Many ships were wrecked and lives lost off Cape Otway in the 1800’s which led to the construction of the light house.
Construction of the Light Station began on 1846 and the light was first lit on 1848. It was the second light house constructed on the mainland.
Cape Otway Light station is open every day except Christmas day, from 9am-5pm. During the January & Easter School holidays, open until 6pm.
Lady Bay Light house Precinct
Location: Merri St, Warrnambool VIC 3280, Australia
Telephone: (03) 5559 4600/ Toll free: 1800 556 111
The Lady Bay Lighthouse Complex was originally built in 1858, on Middle Island near the Outlet of Merri River with a lower light located on a timber tower on the beach. It became apparent that the location is not suitable for the light house as the light gets obscured by heavy seas. In 1871 the lights and all associated buildings, along with the privy, were moved to their current location on Flagstaff Hill.
The Griffith Island Light House
Information Centre Address: Railway Place & Bank Street, Port Fairy VIC 3284
Phone: (03) 5568 2682
Location Coordinates: Lat. 38 23’33” South/Lon. 142 15’28” East
Griffiths Island Lighthouse was built in 1859 was then Rabbit Island, from local bluestone by Scottish stonemasons,. Rabbit island later became part of Griffith Island. The lighthouse was initially manned by two keepers. The last keeper to live on the island was there from 1929 to 1954.
The original light source was an oil lamp.Oil lamp was replaced by Gas Jet and in 1987 solar power system was introduced.
Cape Nelson Light House
Address: Cape Nelson Light House Road, Portland West, VIC
Phone: 03 55237011
Cape Nelson Lighthouse was believed to be a replacement for an earlier built square wooden town(1870’s). The light house first lit on 1884.This light house is 32m tall.