History of the Church
Williamstown was one of the first Anglican parishes created in Victoria and services were held since 1839. The first Anglican Church building at the place of current Holy Trinity Church was a pre-fabricated iron structure brought from English manufacturer Samuel Hemming, in 1854. But unfortunately, it came without an instruction manual, which made the task of erecting it very complicated. In 1859, Reverend George Wilkinson who was originally from Cork in Ireland, in charge of a Parish in Table Cape in Tasmania, was invited to take charge of Holy Trinity Church in place of Reverend J.G Medland. Though Wilkinson was not a good pulpit preacher, he was considered as a philanthropist and a visionary. He began planning for a grand new church designed to seat 600 people.
The Bishop of Melbourne Charles Perry laid the foundation-stone of the new church on the 11th February 1871, in the presence of a large assemblage. Mr Leonard Terry was the architect and Ms Goss and Fleming the Contractors, and the cost of building was estimated at £3700. Leonard Terry was the diocesan architect who designed many Church of England Churches in Melbourne and he was also behind the Presbytery in Williamstown. The bluestone building designed in English Gothic Revival style was opened on 7th October 1874.
Tenders were called for the two storeyed Vicarage in 1885 and it was built in 1886 to a design by Terry and Oakden. Noted Australian writer and Poet Ada Cambridge lived here while her Husband George Frederic Cross was the reverend at the Church. Many of her literary work were completed when she was living here. The Sunday School hall was constructed in 1905 Designed by JJ & EJ Clarke.
A two-manual organ of 14 stops believed to have been manufactured by Melbourne Organ maker, William Anderson was installed in 1896.This is still in working condition without much alteration.
During the construction of the Church, Karoo Thorn trees were brought from Jerusalem and were planted. There are only 3 other of this species in Victoria. One at Royal Botanic Gardens in Melbourne and the other at White Hills Botanic Gardens in Bendigo.
Address: 2 Pasco St, Williamstown VIC 3016