Post your comments of Discussions here
The Argus (Melbourne, Vic.: 1848 – 1957) report on Fri 16 Nov 1855 about the inauguration of the newly built Scot Church at Campbellfield
PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, CAMPBELLFIELD
The new church at Campbellfield, in the parish of Will Will Rook, erected for the Scots congregation, was opened for Divine service on Sabbath last.
The day was unfavourable, yet a huge number of persons were in attendance on the occasion. The Rev. Peter Gunn, minister of Campbellfield, preached from Psalm 122 v. 1., and was followed by the Rev Doctor Mackay, who in Gaelic from Hebrews 3rd chap., v. 2, and by the Rev. A Love, who preached from 1st Corinthians, 5th chap., v. 17.
A collection was made at the conclusion of each service which in all amounted to nearly £70. The edifice, which is built to accommodate upwards of four hundred sitters, is of the Tudor style of architecture and has a most striking and imposing appearance. It reflects great credit on all the parties concerned in its erection.
The services of the day were exceedingly interesting and it was gratifying to witness the Rev. Doctor Mackay, who belongs to another section of the Presbyterian church, taking part in them. On the preceding day a deputation from the congregation waited on the minister, and presented him with a pulpit gown, cushion, bible, and psalm book, in proof of their esteem, and for which he returned thanks in appropriate terms.