The Railway Museum is located near the North Williamstown station in Newport and is operated by the Victorian Division of the Australian Railway Historical Society. The Museum displays steam, diesel and electric locomotives, passenger carriages and freight wagons, Railway Cranes, steam cranes, guard vans and other railway equipment.
The train shop is at the entrance itself and sells souvenirs, guide books and Railway History books. The replica 1887 railway station built inside is named “Blowhard Station”, which existed between Ballarat Racecourse and Learmonth, but was closed on 1st February 1968.
The Museum is also a popular venue for holding Children’s Birthday parties with its train themed picnic tables and Art Deco 1938 Buffet Car which recreates the experience of dining on a long-distance train. Details about booking are at their website.
History of the Museum
Australian Railway Historical Society was founded as “The Railway Circle” in Sydney and soon it changed its name to Australasian Railway and Locomotive Historical Society. In 1952 the name was again changed to Australian Railway Historical Society. The Society’s aim was to foster interest in the railways, and to record and preserve the history of the Railways. A division of the Society was formed in every state including Victoria.
Victoria’s Railway history began in 1854. On 12th September that year, Melbourne and Hobson Bay Railway was opened with locally built locomotive. Steam engine was the king on those days. After the reign of steam engines, diesel-electric locomotives began replacing steam engines in Australia from 1952.
The Australian Railway Historical Society Victorian division lobbied the Railway department to preserve various classes of discontinued steam Engines in a museum for future generations. A Museum was set up within the Newport Railway Workshop and was opened on 10th November 1962. The Museum covers 150 years of Victoria’s railway history. The Museum also displays now discontinued early diesel and electric models that replaced the steam engines.
The Museum re-opened in March 2014 after closing on February 2010 to meet modern safety standards. Now the Museum is working on a project to house the exhibits under a roof to protect it from rain and sun.
The visitors to the Museum enter through a replica of an 1887 Victorian Railway Station, which was built by” NewPort College of Tafe” in 1986.
Address: 26 Champion Rd, Newport VIC 3015
Opening Hours: Saturdays (except Christmas Day) from 12 noon until 5:00 pm. During school holidays periods, the museum is also open on Sundays from 12 noon till 5pm. The Museum also opens by arrangement on other days for Community, School and other Groups to visit.
Entry Fee: There is an entry fee for visitors. Visit Museum website for current details
Museum has toilet facilities
For Discussion forum on Railway Museum – Click the link https://tomelbourne.com.au/forums/topic/arhs-newport-railway-museum/