The big Cross that adorns the hilltop at Bacchus marsh is visible from the Western Freeway for the passing motorists. The All Nations Marian Centre that graces the landscape is a shrine dedicated to Our Lady Ta Pinu, a religious devotion which originated on Gozo, the sister island of Malta. The faith of Our Lady Of Ta’ Pinu has spread to wherever there was a Maltese diaspora. Tunisia was the first place outside Malta to have an icon of Our Lady Ta Pinu installed in a local church. When Tunisia became a republic in 1957, this icon was removed from the church and brought to a church in Kensington in Melbourne.
In 1992, plans were made to build a church in Bacchus Marsh for Ta Pinu and an official mass was celebrated on 27th March 1993. A big concrete cross was erected at the top of the hill and was blessed by His Lordship Dr. Francis Thomas Little, Archbishop of Melbourne on Saturday, 24th February 1996.
A symbolic path marking the stations of cross representing Jesus’s journey to crucifixion goes around the hill beginning from the monument of Our Lady and ending near the chapel at the hilltop. The way of the cross designed similar to Stations of the Cross in Gozo has 14 statues representing Jesus Journey, marked with a wooden cross and an olive tree.
The Marian Centre also features 12 oratories erected by different ethnic communities which makes it an all nations church. Virgin Mary is worshiped in many different names around the globe.
The chapels are by Maltese, Italian, Filipino, Hispanic, Sri Lankan, Indian, Portuguese, Slovenian, Vietnamese, Polish and Indonesian ethnic groups.
Address: 15 Flanagans Drive, Merrimu, VIC 3340
The Shrine is open from 07:00 AM to 08:00 PM every day of the year (including public holiday) 7 days a week.
For discussion forum on All Nations Marian Centre at Bacchus Marsh Click the link Below. Please share your experiences