Erected in 1857 at Aitken’s Gap, near the Calder Highway, west of Sunbury, Aitken Gap Gaol was part of a complex of barracks and horse paddocks that serviced colonial Victoria during the Gold Rushes. The township of Aiken Gap was named after the pioneer sheep farmer, John Aitken. The town came into prominence after the diggers heading for Bendigo goldfields, started staying there overnight during their journey.
The gaol was mostly used for storing the Gold and cash on route to Melbourne Treasury. The gaol being a part of the Police Barrack, had the services of a mounted constable and a foot constable. As was the rule then, the constables lived in the barrack and worked a 12hour shift, 7 days a week.
The Gaol closed in 1863 when the railway to Bendigo was completed and they began sending the Gold by train. The land surrounding the gaol was sold to George Millet in 1870 and subsequently it was used as a shearer quarter. In 1989, then owner of the building Mr Bruce Akers donated the building to the Sunbury Police to turn it into a monument.
In 1989 the gaol was shifted near the old Sunbury Court House as a tribute to the community of the district. The building was dismantled block by block and was rebuilt in the current location. On 10th February 1991, the Chief Commissioner of Police Kel Gare dedicated it to the Community.
Address: 43 Macedon Street, Sunbury
Located next to the visitor information centre
Opening Hours: Open 7 days a week from 9:00am to 5pm